Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
A Benefit corporation:
- "have an expanded purpose beyond maximizing share value to explicitly include general and specific public benefit"
- are required to consider the impact of their decisions not only on shareholders but also on workers, community, and the environment; and
- are required to make available to the public an annual benefit report that assesses their overall social and environmental performance against a third party standard.
A Certified B Corporation is a certification conferred by the nonprofit B Lab.
- “Certified B Corporations are a new type of corporation which uses the power of business to solve social and environmental problems.
- B Corps are unlike traditional businesses because they meet comprehensive and transparent social and environmental performance standards, meet higher legal accountability standard and build business constituency for good business.” (B Lab: About B Corps.)
A Social Business: is a cause driven business
- "In a social business, the investors/owners can gradually recoup the money invested, but cannot take any dividend beyond that point...Sustainability of the company indicates that it is running as a business.
- The objective of the company is to achieve social goal/s."
Recommended Online Resources
B Lab is a nonprofit organization committed to helping "businesses, investors, and institutions Measure What Matters, by using the B Impact Assessment and B Analytics to manage their impact." B Lab provides certification to corporations seeking B status
B Impact Assessment
This Assessment will, provided by B Lab, takes you through "a series of questions to help you learn what it takes to build a better business."
B Corp Information Center
Includes quick facts, misconceptions and state by state legislative status. Includes a search tool to locate Benefit Corps by state of incorporation or company name.
Directory B Corps
Directory of certified B Corporations; defined as companies that meet the highest standards of verified social and environmental performance, public transparency, and legal accountability.
Articles and reports freely available online
Databases and UofSC resources
Find It @ UofSC
Suggested search terms:
• benefit corporation
• b corp
• corporate social responsibility
• socially responsible companies
Business Source Complete
Full text articles and abstracts for the most important scholarly business journals, dating back as far as 1886.
Access to global news and business information including the Wall Street Journal, as well as local newspapers, same-day newswires, company reports, and media programs. Not all content is available.
Rankings & Indices
100 Best Corp Citizens
Corporate Responsibility Magazine (CR Magazine) announced today its 20th annual 100 Best Corporate Citizens ranking, recognizing outstanding environmental, social and governance (ESG) transparency and performance amongst the 1,000 largest U.S. public companies.
FTSE4Good Index Series
Designed to measure the performance of companies demonstrating strong Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) practices.
2020 Global 100 ranking
List of companies earned a spot on Corporate Knights' index of the world's most sustainable corporations
B Corp Anthem - B The Change
B Corp Anthem
Youtube video - B Corps are leading a global movement of people using business as force for good.
Webinar Series: The Path to B Corp Certification Pt I & II
Webinar Series: The Path to B Corp Certification Pt I
Youtube video - In this webinar learn about B Corporations—why they exist, and how they are leading a movement to redefine success in business. This session provides an overview of how to become a B Corp as well as how companies leverage the certification to support their business goals.
Webinar Series: The Path to B Corp Certification Part II
Youtube video -Join B Lab staff as they outline the nuts and bolts of the B Corp certification process! Learn all there is to know about getting B Corp certified (including a live Q&A portion).